Friday, December 5, 2008

God's Fatherly Relationship to Jesus and to Believers

"According to our Lord's own testimony in John's gospel, God's fatherly relation to him implied four things:
First, fatherhood implies authority. The Father commands and disposes; the initiative which he calls his Son to exercise is the initiative of resolute obedience to his Father's will. "I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me." (John 6:38;17:4;5:19;4:34).
Second fatherhood implied affection. "The Father loves the Son." (5:20; 15:9-10).
Third, fatherhood implied fellowship. "I am not alone, for my Father is with me." (16:32; 8:29).
Fourth, fatherhood implied honor. God wills to exalt his Son. "Father.... glorify your Son." (17:1; 5:22-23).
All this extends to God's adopted children. In, through and under Jesus Christ their Lord, they are ruled, loved, companied with and honored by their heavenly Father. As Jesus obeyed God, so must they." J.I. Packer, Knowing God, pg 205.

If you are a believer in Christ you must let these truths to sink down into your heart, believe them, embrace them. The love the Father has for the Son is the same love He has for all His children. Authority, affection, fellowship and honor, what privileges belong to God's children, what a testimony to his grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment