Wednesday, March 31, 2010

"I know that my Redeemer lives" - Job

James Boice was mentor to Philip Ryken and Richard Phillips, both reformation21 bloggers. Continuing in his book, "The Christ of the Empty Tomb," Dr. Boice writes of Job's statement "I know that my Redeemer lives":

"If Job, who lived at the dawn of recorded history, centuries before the time of the Lord Jesus Christ - if Job knew these things, how much more should we know them, we who are aware of Christ's resurrection and have witnessed His power in our lives. Job lived in a dark and misty time, before the dawning of the Lord Jesus Christ, that sun of righteousness. Job lived in an age Before Jesus brought life and immortality to light through the Gospel. If he had failed to understand about the resurrection and had failed to believe in it, who could blame him? Nobody. Yet he believed. How much more then should we?

Can you say with Job, "I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God"? If so, then live in that assurance. Do not fear death. During the next twelve months death will certainly come for some, but there will also be a resurrection. Besides, Jesus is also coming and if that should happen soon, He will receive us all.

I add one more thought. We believe these truths, yes. But let us not only believe them; let us pass them on so that others may share in this resurrection faith also. What was job's desire after all? It was that his works might be preserved and that his faith in the resurrection might be saved for coming generations. The resurrection hope has come down to us through many centuries of church history. Lit pass to our children and to our children's children until the living Lord Jesus Christ returns in His Glory. Jesus Christ Lives. Hi Lives! Then let us tell others, and let us shout with Job, "I know that my Redeemer lives and that in the he will stand up on the earth"."

No comments:

Post a Comment