Monday, April 19, 2010

The Good news is Good because the Bad News is so Bad

Thanks to Gordon Cheng for this excellent quote from John Stott’s The Cross of Christ (p. 109):
It must even be said that our evangelical emphasis on the atonement is dangerous if we come to it too quickly. We learn to appreciate the access to God which Christ has won for us only after we have first seen God’s inaccessibility to sinners. We can cry ‘Hallelujah’ with authenticity only after we have first cried ‘Woe is me, for I am lost’.
Gordon comments:
Translated into English from the English, Stott is saying,
“Preach the cross as much as you like. But it is just a piece of stupidity in a distant historical context unless we understand why it is there. It’s as ridiculous as taking a pill the doctor offers, without understanding that I’m sick—no, really sick.”
Until I understand that I am a sinner, that God really hates me for it, and that I really am going to the place where the fire burns without being extinguished and the worm does not die, I can’t begin understand the love he showed me when his Son died in my place for my sins, bearing the full weight of his Father’s wrath against me.
Amen. The good news is good because the bad news is so bad. Let us rejoice in the former because we feel and recognize the latter.
Justin Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment