Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Gift Of Saying Nothing At All

A word of warning for preachers, politicians, and the personally charming:
“Above all things beware of letting your tongue outrun your brains. Guard against a feeble fluency, a garrulous prosiness, a facility of saying nothing…My brethren, it is a hideous gift to possess, to be able to say nothing at extreme length.”
Charles Spurgeon in Lectures to My Students

What a word of wisdom for anybody, don't let your tongue outrun your brains. I meet a lot of people who just start talking when you approach them, I'm never quite sure of what they are talking about and have no idea as to where the conversation is going, I just smile and stay quiet. Spurgeon says that having the ability to say nothing at extreme length is a hideous gift to possess. People with this gift are completely oblivious to the fact that they have it. Sometimes I wonder why people come to me for counsel since I hardly have a chance to get a word in.

No comments:

Post a Comment