Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What The Law Cannot Do

"The law indeed was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ."  John 1:17

It is proper that the Law and God's Commandments provide me with the correct directives for life; they supply me with abundant information about righteousness and eternal life. The Law is a sermon which points me to life, and it is essential to remember this instruction. But it must be borne in mind that the Law does not give me life. It resembles a hand which directs me to the right road. The hand gives me the proper direction, but it will not conduct my steps along the way.

Thus the Law serves to indicate the will of God, and it leads us to a realization that we cannot keep it. It also acquaints us with human nature, with its capabilities, and with its limitations. The Law was given to us for the revelation of sin; but it does not have the power to save us from sin and rid us of it. It holds a mirror before us; we peer into it and perceive that we are devoid of righteousness and life. And this image impels us to cry: "Oh come, Lord Jesus Christ, help us and give us grace to enable us to fulfill the Law's demands!"

Luther's Works 22, 143-44  Sermons on the Gospel of John

No comments:

Post a Comment