Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Done and Doing, Being and Becoming

For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified (Hebrews 10:14).
In one act of triumphant death, Jesus offered himself up for sin. In that one act of triumphant death, he has perfected, completed, finished for all time, continually, forever, those who are being sanctified, in process, still being formed into his image. The Greek literally reads, “the ones being sanctified” and I think a helpful paraphrase is, “the folks God is still working on.”
It means that Jesus is done with us, and he is still doing with us. It means we already are, and we are still yet to be. It is positional sanctification and progressive sanctification  mixed together and shadowed over by the cross of Christ.
Practically this means:
1. In the midst of my muddling through life and falling on my face, I need to remember that I have been perfected, finished, completed by the sacrifice of Christ for me.
2. In the midst of reveling in the finishing of my salvation, my perfection in Christ, I must still push “further up and further in” and seek personal holiness.
Question: Which side of the spectrum do you need to remind yourself of most?
Danny Slavich

No comments:

Post a Comment