Thursday, May 24, 2012

Grace Leads Us To See The Truth About Ourselves

“Am I making progress? If I am really honest, it seems to me that the question is odd, even a little ridiculous. As I get older and death draws nearer, I don’t seem to be getting better. I get a little more impatient, a little more anxious about having perhaps missed what this life has to offer, a little slower, harder to move, a little more sedentary and set in my ways. Am I making progress? Well, maybe it seems as though I sin less, but that may only be because I’m getting tired! It’s just too hard to keep indulging the lusts of youth. Is that sanctification? I wouldn’t think so! One should not, I expect, mistake encroaching senility for sanctification! But can it be, perhaps, that it is precisely the unconditional gift of grace that helps me to see and admit all that? I hope so. The grace of God should lead us to see the truth about ourselves, and to gain a certain lucidity, a certain humor, a certain down-to-earthness” (Gerhard Forde).

What if spiritual progress is not about learning to sin less, but admitting our need for grace more? Is it possible that the only thing that can transform us into what we ought to be, is the invitation to come as we are?
1 John 2:12, 1 John 3:20, 1 John 4:18-19

No comments:

Post a Comment