Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The Way It Is

When I get honest, I admit I am a bundle of paradoxes. I believe and I doubt. I hope and get discouraged, I love and I hate, I feel bad about feeling good, I feel guilty about not feeling guilty. I am trusting and suspicious. I am honest and I still play games. Aristotle said I am a rational animal; I say I am an angel with an incredible capacity for beer.
To live by grace means to acknowledge my whole life story, the light side and the dark. In admitting my shadow side, I learn who I am and what God's grace means. As Thomas Merton put it, "A saint is not someone who is good but who experiences the goodness of God."
Brennan Manning

Oh to know the grace of God in its fulness and to live by it and rest in it and to know God for who he really is. Lord deliver me from my self serving religious ideas and ways that keep me from your grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment