Friday, September 19, 2014

What Wisdom! This Is Why I Love Luther

"If there is anything in us, it is not our own; it is a gift of God. But if it is a gift of God, then it is entirely a debt one owes to love, that is, to the law of Christ. And if it is a debt owed to love, then I must serve others with it, not myself.
Thus my learning is not my own; it belongs to the unlearned and is the debt I owe them...My wisdom belongs to the foolish, my power to the oppressed. Thus my wealth belongs to the poor, my righteousness to the sinners...
It is with all these qualities that we must stand before God and intervene on behalf of those who do not have them, as though clothed with someone else's garment...But even before men we must, with the same love, render them service against their detractors and those who are violent toward them; for this is what Christ did for us.” 


― Martin Luther, Luther's Works Lectures on Galatians/Chapters 5-6 Chapters 1-6

Here is how grace is manifest in the Christian's life, this is true freedom. This is what the church needs to teach and live. I must say this refreshed my weary soul and I hope it does for your soul also.

No comments:

Post a Comment