Sunday, October 28, 2018

A Song for Sunday – No Hard Feelings by The Avett Brothers (From The Motion Picture “May It Last: A Portrait of the Avett Brothers”)

When I first heard this song, it had a profound affect on me. It brought me face to face with the truth that most of my years are already behind me and how many are still in front I have no clue only God knows that. This song starts by pondering the question, “When death comes will I be ready?” It asks the question “Where will I go?” The last answer is “will I run into a Savior true and shake hands laughing” Will I come to the end with no hard feelings and know that I have no enemies. “Liz Wann wrote, The Avett Brothers released their ninth album, titled True Sadness a few years ago. Many of the songs on True Sadness tell stories with similar themes: fear, disappointment, hardship and redemption. The lyrics sing truth about a perfect world gone wrong. Once, perfect peace filled our souls. Now we battle with fear and, as the Avett Brothers phrase it, "...this evil inside me. I step out my front door and I feel it surround me." When the brothers sing, "For life and its loveliness. And all of its ugliness," we are reminded that what God declared as good has been smudged with dirt. So now we have both light and dark; lovely and ugly at the same time. We are not fully what we will be yet. Because we are redeemed, but living in a world groaning in anticipation of restoration, we will experience true sadness.

No comments:

Post a Comment