Thursday, September 11, 2014

Remembering 9/11


Sunday night around 10 pm on 9/9/01 I was standing on Queens Blvd in Queens NYC admiring the twin towers as I looked into Manhattan. What a sight! I had no earthly idea what was about to happen on 9/11. I flew home to Detroit late that night and remember coming to the office Tuesday morning listening to the radio around 9 am. A breaking news report came on saying a plane had flown into one of the towers. When I arrived at the office I told Sally to turn on the TV and we sat there and watched as a second plane flew into the second tower. We were stunned
As soon as the ban on flying was lifted Mike Osminski and I flew back to NYC. Wilson Caimares Pastor of The Iglesia Misionera de Jesucristo Mike and I went down to ground zero and walked around the entire site. I remember how quiet everyone was walking around with a dazed look. At every corner a makeshift memorial was set up with signs "Have you seen this person?" We saw the beams that fell and stuck into the ground in the form of a cross. Lines of dump trucks were single file going into the site to remove rubble. The dust the destruction the sadness the grief hung in the air there was nothing to say but walk silently and pray. I will never forget those days and I pray that people will never forget them either.

No comments:

Post a Comment