Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Luther on being Stinking Maggot-fodder

Martin Luther told his supporters with humorous humility that the name "Luther" must never be associated with insurrection against the tyranny of the church. "In the first place, I ask that men make no reference to my name; let them call themselves Christians, not Lutherans. What is Luther? After all, the teaching is not mine. Neither was I crucified for anyone. St. Paul, in 1 Corinthians 3:22, would not allow the Christians to call themselves Pauline or Petrine, but Christian. How then should I - poor stinking maggot-fodder that I am - come to have men call the children of Christ by my wretched name? Not so my dear friends; let us abolish all party names and call ourselves Christians, after him whose teaching we hold".
From "The Wit Of Martin Luther" by Eric W. Gritsch

No comments:

Post a Comment