Wednesday, December 16, 2009

How Whitefield walked through controversy

“I hope as I make advances in the spiritual life, I shall show my zeal more and more tempered with true Christian knowledge and prudence.  I would willingly have none of my old wild fire mingled with the sacred fire that comes down from God’s altar.  I desire not only to do things for God, but to do them in the best manner.”
“O let us be meek and quiet!  O let us wait and we shall see the salvation of God.”
“While others are disputing, let us be growing.  This will be the best way to convince those who you find will not be convinced any other way.”
“I lose nothing by being quiet and leaving all to Him.”
George Whitefield’s deepening spirituality as the controversy with John Wesley broke his heart, quoted in Arnold Dallimore’s biography of Whitefield, II:75.

No comments:

Post a Comment