Thursday, March 18, 2010

All you have to do

“Take.” Matthew 26:26
“Nobody at the table said, ‘Lord, I dare not take.’ But when Jesus said, ‘Take,’ they took. Nobody said, though perhaps everybody felt, ‘I am not worthy to take,’ but as Jesus said, ‘Take,’ they took. . . . .
And I do not suppose that the Master stood holding that piece of bread to Peter for half an hour. He said, ‘Take,’ and Peter took it. ‘Take,’ he said to John, and John took it. ‘Take,’ he said to Philip, and Philip took it at once. . . .
I anticipate that someone will say, ‘Am I then to have Jesus Christ by only taking him?’ Just so. Do you need a Savior? There he is. Take him. Do you desire to be delivered from the power of sin? He can deliver you. Take him to do it. Do you desire to lead a holy, godly life? Here is One who can wash you and enable you to live thus. Take him.
He is as free as the air. You have no more to pay for Christ than you have to pay for the next breath that goes into your lungs. Take him in. Take him in. That is all you have to do.”
C. H. Spurgeon, The Treasury of the New Testament (Grand Rapids, 1950), I:363, language slightly updated.
Ray Ortlund

No comments:

Post a Comment