Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Happy 70th Birthday Bob Dylan by Bono

When I was 13, Bob Dylan started whispering in my ear... it was a hoarse whisper, jagged around the edges, not-too-plain truths...ideas blowing in the wind about how the world could be a better place if we could just get it out of the hands of the hypocrites.

When I was 16, Bob Dylan whispered in my ear about how the real enemy was not flesh and blood, but of a spiritual nature.
At 21, with the slow train of faith having picked up a little too much speed, I stood at a religious crossroads and heard "Every Grain Of Sand" stop time. When I got married at 22, Bob Dylan was whispering in my ear about love and infidelity. When I had my first child at 29, Bob Dylan wrote "Ring Them Bells" and "What Good Am I?" When I ran out of gas in the late '90s, I had Time Out Of Mind to hold on to.

When the world crumbled around two shining towers, and New York had its two front teeth knocked out, I had Love And Theft to hang on to. Now, having faced 50, I'm realizing I knew much more then than I do now. I'm returning to the brutal truth the "The Times They Are A-Changin'" - but you don't have to let them change you. In short, all my life, Bob Dylan has been there for me.
Bono

No comments:

Post a Comment