Tuesday, February 25, 2020

ISRAEL PORTNOY - BACKPORCH BLUES

One of the first feelings I deeply resonated with after the shock of losing our home (in what started out as a forest-fire), was this idea that I was able to find a deep sense of comfort in connecting to a greater, universal sense of loss - a human blues if you will. This in turn, connected me to something beyond myself and my limited personal experience. It's not that a sense of empathy with others invalidates your own suffering, or even diminishes it in any way- but rather it brings you back to a place of consciousness that reinforces that what you are going through is a part of the greater human experience - you are never alone in your suffering and we are indeed "just human too". With that in mind, It felt right that "Backporch Blues" would be the first single I'd release from this concept-album "Facing Flames (feat Guilda)". I went back to the house with Basti Hansen to get an album-cover shot and some footage of what remained. When we were done we had 10 mins left and he literally fought against the sunset as i sat in the spot where my wooden backporch where I would sit and write songs. P.s If you would head over to my YT Channel & SUBSCRIBE (link in first comment), this would be a big help at the start of this journey. In the coming weeks, I'll be putting some extra content there too that I won't be putting here.

No comments:

Post a Comment