Friday, March 6, 2009

Reconciled To God

There is only one power that can deliver a man out of the clutches of hell and of the devil. It is the power of God. But how can I have that power? I have sinned against God; I am a rebel against him. God's wrath is upon me. Before I can know the power of God I must be reconciled to God. And that was the very thing that has happening on the cross on Calvary's hill. There on the cross our Lord was reconciling us unto God. "God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them..." (2 Cor. 5:19). We are reconciled to God, and the power of God takes over and delivers us from the devil and his cohorts and transfers us into the kingdom of God.

This is why the apostle puts it like this in Colossians 1;13:"Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son." That is how it happens. That is what was happening upon the cross. The devil thought he was defeating Christ, but Christ was reconciling us to God, defeating the devil and delivering us out of his clutches.

by Martyn-Lloyd-Jones in Jesus Keep Me Near The Cross, pg.78

No comments:

Post a Comment