Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Johnny Cash, 'American VI: Ain't No Grave'

I had pre-ordered this CD and it just arrived today. I have just listened to it and am impressed by the sweetness of it. Cash recorded these songs just four months before his own demise in 2003, when he felt it imminent. (His wife, June, succumbed just four months before he did.) The serene perspective makes sense, then, especially since Cash was a man of unshakable faith.
The title track "Ain't No Grave" expresses Cash's firm belief that no earth bound casket can keep him from a heavenly ascent. I love this song. 1 Corinthians 15:55 is one of the last songs Cash wrote, "O death,where is thy sting / O grave where is your victory / O life you are a shining path / and hope springs eternal just over the rise / When I see my Redeemer beckoning me."





















                     If you like Johnny Cash you'll want to get this CD.


No comments:

Post a Comment