Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Oswald Chambers on Pain

“Before God can use a man greatly he must wound him deeply.” Oswald Chambers
That’s an uncomfortable thought, especially given the amount of time I (and perhaps you too) have prayed that God would use us in a mighty way. But come to think of it, those prayers that I have prayed have been mixed in with pride and self-congratulations. I want to be used by God not only for His great reputation, but also for my great pride. I want to leave my mark on the world not only for His glory but for mine.
Perhaps this is one reason why Chambers hits the nail on the head. Few are the human beings who can give themselves fully to the purposes of God. Even when we think we are, many times our pride is lurking right behind our best intentions. But when you get wounded? Deeply? The Lord brings you to a point of desperation and dependence. You realize your utter frailty and are refocused on what matters.
Pain is often the avenue to greatness in the eyes of God.
Forward Progress

No comments:

Post a Comment