Thursday, April 28, 2011

Your Humility Should Be Hardly Discerned

Jonathan Edwards:
An eminent saint is not apt to think himself eminent in any thing; all his graces and experiences are ready to appear to him to be comparatively small; but especially his humility. There is nothing that appertains to Christian experience, and true piety, that is so much out of his sight as his humility. He is a thousand times more quick-sighted to discern his pride, than his humility: that he easily discerns, and is apt to take much notice of, but hardly discerns his humility. (Religious Affections, 334-35)
Are you often aware of your own humility? Then you’re probably not humble.
Have you noticed your pride? Then you may be more humble than you realize.
Here are two signs of Christian maturity: a keen eye to discern your sins and blessed self-forgetfulness.
Father, make me humble. Make me love the Lord with all my heart and love my neighbor as myself. Give me that glorious paradox: the ability to see my sin and at the same time look away from myself. And when I am tempted to posture and position as the world does, remind me that the meek will inherit the earth.
Kevin DeYoung

No comments:

Post a Comment