Thursday, June 21, 2012

Rotten Nasty P - R - I - D - E

"It is pride which has been the chief cause of misery in every nation and every family since the world began... Pride always means enmity - it is enmity. And not only enmity between man and man, but enmity to God.

In God you come up against something which is in every respect immeasurably superior to yourself. Unless you know God as that - and therefore, know yourself as nothing in comparison - you do not know God at all. As long as you are proud you cannot know God. A proud man is always looking down on things and people; and, of course as long as you are looking down, you cannot see something that is above you.

That raises a terrible question. How is it that people who are quite obviously eaten up with pride can say they believe in God and appear to themselves very religious? I am afraid it means they are worshiping an imaginary God."

C. S. Lewis, Mere Christianity, pg.123-124

I wrote a song several years ago called "Rotten Nasty P-R-I-D-E. The first verse says;
"Well theres something I got to tell you
Its so low down you won't believe its true
Its something God says he really hates,
More than all the evil things you do
Chorus - I'm talkin' about pride, rotten nasty P-R-I-D-E pride
You've been flyin so high, comin down goin be a long long ride
all because of your pride."


No comments:

Post a Comment