Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Are Feelings The End Of The Search?

Descartes argued “I think, therefore I am,” and people after Freud translated that into the modern vernacular by saying, “I feel, therefore I am a self”; modern evangelicals of the relational type seem to have added their own quirk to it by saying that “I feel religiously, therefore I am a self.” The search for the religious self then becomes a search for religious good feelings. But the problem with making good feelings the end for which one is searching is, as Henry Fairlie argues, that it is possible to feel good about oneself, even religiously, “in states of total vacuity, euphoria, intoxication, and self-indulgence, and it is even possible when we are found wrong and know what we are doing.”
No Place For Truth Or Whatever Happened to Evangelical Theology? by David Wells, pg 177

No comments:

Post a Comment